Introduction to the Labour Force Survey and Annual Population Survey
Would you like to know more about using the Labour Force Survey (LFS) and Annual Population survey (APS) in research?
This free online workshop will give background information needed to work with LFS and APS data confidently. The workshop will be led by experts from the Office for National Statistics and the UK Data Service. It will include presentations and practical sessions along with opportunities to ask questions and meet other LFS and APS users. Topics will include the survey design, methodological considerations when using the data, how to navigate the documentation and the contents and structure of available datasets.
By the end of the session, attendees will
- understand the survey design, including sampling and methods of data collection (before and through the COVID-19 pandemic)
- have an overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the LFS and APS as a source of data
- understand the different types of LFS/APS datasets available
- be able to navigate and use the LFS documentation
- know about using the weighting variables for different types of analyses
- be familiar with the structure and contents of the datasets
The workshop includes a practical data analysis session designed to give you familiarity with features of the data. To participate, you will need to have access to a computer with relevant software installed. We will lead the session in SPSS but equivalent materials will be provided in Stata and R.