Explore data online using these tools
We provide a suite of online tools, so you can explore the data held in our collection, including survey data, qualitative data and census microdata.
Exploring survey data
Nesstar enables you to search, browse, visualise, analyse and download a selected range of different kinds of social and economic data, from survey data to multidimensional tables.
- Access Nesstar
- Video tutorial on Using Nesstar to download a subset of data
- How to weight survey data in Nesstar video guide
- ZACAT– GESIS Online Study Catalogue
- The European Social Survey (ESS)
- More information on researching survey data
The Variable and Question Bank
The Variable and Question Bank (VQB) is the UK Data Service’s search and browse interface for survey variables and questions. Use the Variable and Question Bank to identify which survey datasets contain questions or variables of interest to you.
- Access the Variable and Question Bank
- Further information on how to use the Variable and Question Bank
Exploring qualitative data
QualiBank is the UK Data Service’s search and browse interface for qualitative data objects allowing searching of the content of text files, such as interviews, essays, open ended questions and reports.
Exploring international aggregate data
UKDS.Stat enables you to extract the information you want from large socio-economic international datasets available at the UK Data Service. Some international macrodata on the UKDS.Stat platform, such as IEA and UNIDO) are only available to users at institutions of Higher and Further Education (HE /FE) – where this is the case, you must agree special conditions for the data when youlogin to UKDS.Stat. The agreement expires after a year, so you will need to read and agree to the condition when you next log on if it is a year since you originally agreed to the special conditions.
- Access the UK Data Service.Stat International Macrodata Platform
- Guides for the UK Data Service .Stat International Macrodata Platform
- Video tutorial on accessing, exploring and visualising international data
Exploring census and boundary data
Infuse is an open standards structure developed by the UK Data Service to provide easy access to aggregate data from the UK 2011 and 2001 censuses.
- Casweb is an interface that provides access to census data from 1971 to 2001.
GeoConvert is a tool that makes it easy to match UK postcodes, census geographies and convert data between them.
DKAN provides access to open UK Census Aggregate Data 1971 to 2011. It also contains open boundary and flow data for 2011 and deprivation data.
- Access DKAN
WICID is a flexible interface providing access to flow datafron the Census. These data contain counts which are linked to an origin and destination, such as migration or commuting flows.
Boundary data tools
Through our Census Support service, we provide a selection of tools to enable you to easily analyse census boundary data.