Follow these steps to anonymise a data file:
Find and highlight direct identifiers
- Quantitative: Visually scan variables.
- Qualitative: Read the transcript.
Assess indirect identifiers
- Can the identity of a participant be known from information in the data file?
- Can a third party be disclosed or harmed from information in the data file?
Assess the wider picture
- Quantitative: Run descriptive statistics and crosstabs to find unique cases and combinations of variables that can identify an individual in the dataset.
- Qualitative: Which identifying information about an individual participant can be noted from all the data and documentation available to a user.