Managing data: tools and templates
Providing researchers with the tools they need
The UK Data Service is committed to helping researchers, teachers and students follow best practice in their work.
We provide a selection of tools and templates that you may find useful for various data management tasks in social sciences research.
- Transcription template (PDF) of our preferred uniform style and layout for transcripts deposited with us.
- Example transcription instructions (PDF) to help transcribers use a consistent style, layout and editing.
- Transcription confidentiality agreement (PDF) to ensure that audio recordings and transcripts that may contain personal and confidential information about interviewees is handled correctly by a transcriber.
- Data list template (Excel) to create an informative overview guide of a collection of interview transcripts or other qualitative data.
- Data management costing tool (PDF) to help cost data management tasks in a research grant application.
- Text anonymisation tool (Zip) to help you find disclosive information to remove or pseudonymise in qualitative textual data files.
- ReadMe file template (Word) is a summary file used to inform future users about the content of all data/documentation files/folders available in each ReShare collection.
- Variable information log template (Excel) sets out all the necessary information for datasets that include secondary data so that other researchers clearly understand and reuse the data correctly.
- QAMyData a free easy-to-use open source tool that provides a health check for numeric data.