About the project
The Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA) Training Group is a space for cooperation among all training practitioners within CESSDA Service Providers and acts as an advisory body to the work of CESSDA Training.
Its main functions are:
- Identifying the training needs of the CESSDA community and its users and supporting CESSDA Training to prioritise these needs
- Promoting training harmonisation across training providers within the CESSDA community and advising CESSDA Training on harmonisation actions
- Identifying new trends in training across the community
- Developing resources and guidance for training delivery
- Providing training events
Representatives from all Service Providers that offer training form part of this group. The main training focus is Research Data Management and Data Discovery.
During 2017-2018 the CESSDA Training Group developed an online training module for social science researchers. Called the CESSDA Data Management Expert Guide, the module teaches basic data management knowledge and skills with additional offline content for use during face-to-face training workshops.
The core chapters in this module are:
- Data management planning
- Ethical and legal
- Quality and organisation of data
- Documentation and metadata
- Storage, backup and security
- Publishing and sharing your research data
- Data discovery
Each year, a series of training workshops and webinars for researchers and trainers is delivered to instill good data practices and promote reuse of datasets available across CESSDA. The Expert Guide, which continues to develop, forms the core training resource. New content and training resources are added in line with data developments in Europe.
UK Data Service contribution
- Principal Investigators: Vanessa Higgins, Veerle Van den Eynden
- Funder: CESSDA ERIC
- Dates: 1 January 2017 – ongoing
14 Service Providers from the CESSDA consortium.