UK Research Data Discovery
About the project
The aim of this project was to develop a UK-wide discovery service that enables the discovery and reuse of UK research data held in UK research institutions and subject data centres, and which could be taken forward into a service run by Jisc.
This project developing a UK Research Data Discovery Service built on an initial pilot project by the Digital Curation Centre and the UK Data Archive in 2013-2014.
The project also had a third phase of work, whereby the harvesting of metadata was widened across more UK universities and data centres during 2017. During the second phase of work (2014-2016), we:
- Developed and agreed requirements and use cases for a UK Research Data Discovery Service.
- Built on the existing stakeholder engagement across UK universities and data centres, engaging nine universities and six data centres.
- Developed and agreed the metadata profile for a successful cross disciplinary service, and mapped this to the various metadata schemas used by data centres and repositories.
- Developed a functioning service instance (alpha).
- Harvested metadata of participating data centres and university repositories into the service instance.
UK Data Service contribution
- Principal Investigator: Veerle Van den Eynden, UK Data Service
- Funder: Jisc
- Dates: November 2014 – July 2016
- Digital Curation Centre: Diana Sisu, Laura Molloy, Alex Ball, David Wilson, Kevin Ashley
- Jisc: Christopher Brown, Catherine Grout, Rachel Bruce
- UK Data Archive: Lucy Bell, John Shepherdson, Anne Etheridge
- Archaeology Data Centre: Katie Green, Michael Charno, Paul Young
- NERC Data Catalogue Service: Peter Vodden, Philip Trembath
- ISIS/ICAT, STFC: Tom Griffin, Catherine Jones
- Visual Arts Data Service: Leigh Garrett, Carlos Silca, Amy Robinson
- Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre: Ian Bruno, Matthew Lightfoot
- STFC Energy Data Centre: Jim Halliday
- University of Hull: Chris Awre
- University of St Andrews: Anna Clements
- University of Glasgow: Valerie McCutcheon
- Oxford Brookes University: Rowena Rouse, Sarah Taylor
- University of Edinburgh: Robin Rice, Stuart Lewis
- University of Oxford: Sally Rumsey, Amanda Flynn, David Tomkins
- University of Southampton: Wendy White, Adrian Cox, Michael Whitton
- University of Leeds: Rachel Proudfoot, Graham Blyth
- University of Lincoln: Paul Stainthorp, Andrew Beeken