Apply to access controlled data in SecureLab
COVID-19 update: To enable continued research access during the pandemic, please follow the normal SecureLab application process. Following project approval, you may apply for temporary home-working access to specific datasets through an additional short form and agreement.
Information on how to apply is available on our Covid-19 SecureLab home-working page.
- There are slightly different application requirements depending on whether you want to access ONS data, non-ONS data or the Smart Energy Research Lab (SERL). This is because there are variations in the legal gateways to access those data.
- We recommend you complete our Safe Researcher training (SRT) to become an Accredited Researcher (AR) first, then provide evidence for the other application requirements.
- To access data from multiple data providers, please follow the guidance on who to apply to first, as this will speed up access.
- The process is also different depending on whether you are applying alone, or as part of a team.
- Controlled data are not generally available to students, but there are rare exceptions.
- And finally, your organisation will need to accept legal responsibility for your data access.
- [All controlled data application processes are determined by the data you would like to access and the legal gateways for access to those data (whether the Digital Economy Act (2017); UK GDPR or the Smart Energy Code). It is not determined by the UK Data Service.]