A number of confidential and sensitive microdata sources are becoming available through secure access facilities across the UK. These data are deemed potentially identifiable, and can only be accessed through a secure access facilities (as opposed to download). In addition, researchers are asked to fulfil a number of additional application requirements. These data are normally highly detailed, and may also be derived from administrative sources.
Researchers can apply to obtain access to the following data sources provided by these secure research facilities:
- microdata from HMRC can be accessed at the HMRC Datalab
- offender data are available from the Justice Data Lab
- linked health and social data from Wales can be accessed from Secure Anonymised Information Linkage (SAIL)
- Scottish Electronic Patient Records can be accessed from the Scottish Health Informatics Programme (SHIP)
- Office for National Statistics Secure Research Service
- NHS Digital Data Access Request Service (DARS)
- ADR UK.