To those final year students about to embark on their dissertation projects, the UK Data Service is delighted to welcome you to our new section for students. We have the guidance you need to produce your best research, based on survey data of all types. Discover more about our upcoming events, new online resources and this year’s Dissertation Award.
New UK Data Service student pages
Following a consultation with lecturers across 2021, we have launched our new web pages aimed at students and new researchers. The new section is easily accessible from our Learning hub and brings all our student resources together. You will find:
- Clear information about the UK Data Service and our data collection.
- Resources for dissertation students on secondary analysis, survey data and finding the right data for your project.
- Details of our Dissertation Award for undergraduates.
We will be hosting a number of free events to help undergraduate students at all levels learn more about available data and plan projects.
- Dissertation projects: Introduction to secondary analysis for qualitative and quantitative data, Thursday 6 October, 10.00-11.30.
This workshop will take you through the research process of a secondary analysis project, including an overview of the methodological and ethical issues.
- Data in the spotlight: Large scale social surveys, Tuesday 11 October, 10.00-11.30.
Find out about how to access and use data from major social surveys such as the British Social Attitudes survey and the Labour Force Survey.
- An introduction to 2021 Census geography datasets, Tuesday 18 October, 10.00-11.00.
This introductory session is for anyone interested in exploring geography datasets from the latest UK census.
- Introduction to the UK Data Service, Tuesday 8 November, 10.00-11.30.
Find out about the data available from the UK Data Service with demonstrations of how to find and explore data online.
- Finding and accessing data from the UK Data Service, Thursday 10 November 10.00-11.30.
An interactive session looking at ways to find data from the UK Data Service.
You can also browse our events pages for a full list of what is available.
Our annual Dissertation Award is open for 2022-2023. The UK Data Service Dissertation Award recognises students who use data from the UK Data Service in their undergraduate dissertations. Awards will be given to the three best dissertations from this academic year. Each winning entry will receive £300 and be publicised via our website, blog and newsletter (you can read about last year’s winners here). This year’s deadline for submissions is 12:00 (noon) on 28 June 2023. Visit this year’s award launch page for information about how to apply.