UK Data Service Workshop on Creating Shareable Research Data: Managing and Archiving Social Science Research Data
Are you interested in how to write a data management plan?
Are you comfortable with managing, organising and storing your research data
safely? Do you know how to effectively document and organise your research
data? Do you know the best practices for gaining informed consent from
participants when your research involves people? Do you know how to deposit and
publish your data with the UK Data Service or another data repository?
This two-day workshop will
address these questions and more using a mixture of presentations and hands-on
practical exercises. It will help improve your knowledge and skills on creating
shareable social science research data, managing that data, and the archiving
and publishing of that data at the end of your research project. This workshop
is designed for ESRC grant holders and researchers who are expected to archive
their data with the UK Data Service for future reuse at the end of their
project, but also other researchers interested in publishing data to make them
available for reuse or as evidence for a published paper will benefit from this
Topics covered shall include:
- Data management plans: the requirements of an ESRC data management plan (and other funders), costing advice and tools.
- Ethical and legal aspects of managing and sharing social science research data: consent procedures, anonymisation and access regulation.
- Documenting and organising research data.
- Data storage and how to securely and safely backup, transfer and encrypt your research data.
- Preparing and publishing research data: the process of data deposit with the UK Data Service including recommended file formats, how to provide detailed and accurate metadata, suitable access level and licences for your data, and how we review your data before publication.
£60 - UK registered students
£120 - Staff - UK academic
institutions and research centres, ESRC funded researchers, UK registered
charity and voluntary organisations, staff - public sector and government.
£300 - All other participants including
commercial organisations and non-UK individuals.
Venue: ICOSS conference room, First floor, Interdisciplinary Centre of the Social Sciences (ICOSS)| Programme| About the presenters| Presentation: Access Controls and Licensing Data – Scott Summers| Presentation: Anonymisation of research data – Veerle Van den Eynden| Presentation: Informed consent for data sharing and reuse – Veerle Van den Eynden| Presentation: Data management plans, Veerle Van den Eynden| Presentation: Documenting and Organising Research Data for Archiving and Reuse, Scott Summers| Presentation: Ethical and legal aspects of managing and sharing sensitive data, Veerle Van den Eynden| Presentation: Data at the UK Data Service, Anca Vlad| Presentation: Publishing and Sharing Data into the ReShare Repository, Anca Vlad| Presentation: Storing and Securely Handling Research Data, Scott Summers| Exercises: Storage and Security, Scott Summers