To continue safe research during the pandemic, you must still meet the correct application criteria and follow the correct application process to use SecureLab data.
Additional application measures have been agreed with ONS to enable continued research access to SecureLab throughout the pandemic whilst mitigating risks posed by people working outside their institutional environments.
SecureLab Application process from home
- Evidence you are a formally Accredited Researcher and meet the compulsory criteria to access SecureLab under ‘normal’ working conditions.
- Each project must have its own application submission. Download, complete and submit an application to ONS for temporary home-working access for each project via SRS.Customer.Support@ons.gov.uk. Requests will be considered regularly by ONS. Each application will need to demonstrate how it meets both sets of criteria around a) the project purpose and b) urgency and timescales.
- Prepare screenshots of the following evidence from your home device and submit all at once to email@example.com
a) The web page at: https://www.whatismyip.com/my-ip-information/
b) For Windows, the output of running the command “ipconfig /all” in Command Prompt, or for Mac/Linux, the output of running the command “ifconfig -a” in Terminal
c) A description and evidence of your approved VPN, provided by your institution’s IT support department – this must include type of VPN; authentication technology used; what kind of measures are in place to prevent and detect unauthorised access attempts, and what measures are in place to check compliance of endpoints connecting to the VPN.
d) Written confirmation from your IT support department that any information security incidents involving your actions, the VPN, or your office or home PC will be reported to the UK Data Service.
e) Screenshots of the operating system and antivirus update status of your device that verify the device is receiving regular updates.
- Only after your application is approved and all the evidence requested above is ready to submit, complete and return the Secure Access additional agreement: COVID-19 temporary home working for ONS data. If you do not follow this process additional access delays will occur.
- If you want to apply to access non-ONS secure data as well, you must first apply for ONS secure data then apply for non-ONS access afterwards.
- You will then be permitted to use your organisationally/institutionally approved method of remotely accessing your organisational/institutional office computer, at the location specified in your application, and using only the IP address we have on record.
Permitted ONS datasets, following successful application
ONS permit continued safe access to the datasets listed below from home temporarily, with the above conditions and additional application process being completed. This applies only to the current temporary lockdown period where users are unable to travel to their work site.
Use of data from home not listed will constitute a breach of the agreement.