CESSDA CV Manager Tool
About the project
The aim of this project was to produce a tool for CESSDA to manage controlled vocabularies (CVs) as they will form a crucial part of the forthcoming CESSDA metadata standard.
The vocabularies will be used to aid information retrieval in the CESSDA Product and Services Catalogue and in Euro Question Bank as well. Therefore CESSDA needed a tool that will allow the creation, versioning and maintenance of controlled vocabularies, their translation into all member languages, and access to all CVs. The tool makes vocabulary work quicker, less labour intensive and less error-prone.
As CESSDA will use DDI controlled vocabularies whenever available, there are significant synergy benefits for CESSDA if the same tool can also be used for DDI controlled vocabularies work. A joint tool speeds up vocabulary creation, removes the need to maintain vocabularies in two places, and facilitates access to vocabularies for various purposes through an API or exports in required formats.
UK Data Service contribution
- Lead partner: UK Data Service: John Shepherdson, Anne Etheridge (until end September 2018), Sharon Bolton (from October 2018).
- Funder: CESSDA ERIC
- Dates: 1 January 2017 – 31 December 2018
- Finnish Social Science Data Archive (FSD): Taina Jääskeläinen
- Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (GESIS): Oliver Hopt, Claus-Peter Klas
- Swedish National Data Service (SND): Stefan Ekman, Iris Alfredsson