CESSDA Metadata Management
About the project
The Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA) Metadata Management project planned to develop, promote and implement a standardised metadata design, content and practice for all CESSDA data assets.
Phase 1 of the CESSDA Metadata Management (CMM) project produced the CESSDA Metadata Standards Portfolio Version 1, which sets out common methods for describing data assets, and includes the CESSDA Metadata Core Model, Controlled Vocabularies, and renewed CESSDA Topics Classification. The aim is to have a metadata model which works regardless of the platform a country’s data archive uses, allowing them to adopt the portfolio for past, present, and future CESSDA data assets.
CMM Phase 2 continued this work, allowing the building of CESSDA services like the Product and Service Catalogue and Euro Question Bank (EQB). Phase 1 outputs included a report on current metadata practices and needs and an impact analysis.
Phase 2 of the project aimed to enhance and extend the Core Metadata Model, taking into account further relevant metadata models, the needs identified by CMM but not included in Portfolio Version 1, and the needs that had emerged after completing Version 1. It also aimed to produce CVs for an extended set of metadata fields and provided for the translation of CVs to additional language; develop a management and maintenance plan for the Portfolio, user guidelines and best practices; include an impact analysis and contribute to DDI 4 development work and to DDI CVG work.
Led by the Finnish Social Science Data Archive, the project also involved partners in Germany, Denmark, Norway, France, Slovenia, Belgium and Sweden, as well as the UK Data Service.
UK Data Service contribution
- Lead partner: Mari Kleemola, FSD
- UK Data Service: Anne Etheridge, Sharon Bolton Funder: CESSDA ERIC
- CMM Phase 1: 01 November 2015 – 30 April 2017
- CMM Phase 2: 01 May 2017 – 31 December 2018
- Finnish Social Science Data Archive (FSD): Mari Kleemola, Katja Moilanen, Taina Jääskeläinen, Eliisa Haanpää
- Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (GESIS): Wolfgang Zenk-Möltgen, Kerrin Borschewski
- National Archives/Danish Data Archive (DDA): Anne Sofie Fink
- Norwegian Social Science Data Services (NSD): Silje Storviken, Sunniva Hagen
- Slovenian Social Science Data Archives (ADP): Irena Vipavc Brvar, Irena Bolko, Janez Štebe Social Sciences and Humanities Data Archive (SOHDA): Benjamin Peuch
- Swedish National Data Service (SND): Iris Alfredsson, Malin Lundgren